Top safety tips for new homeowners in Shreveport
If you purchased your first home or you’re preparing to, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and yours. You might be considering all the ways you might personalize your property with decor, paint, and furnishings. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make sure you examine home security as well. Keeping your loved ones protected should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with our safety tips for new homeowners in Shreveport.
Complete a safety review of your new Shreveport property
Now that safety is front and center, see what your new home has in terms of protection. To begin, make certain you have operational smoke alarms. Test each one and replace batteries if needed. Are carbon monoxide detectors on site? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also a perfect time to update door locks and investigate all window locks. Go through every space and get familiar with your property.
Smart security tips for your Shreveport home
Once you’ve finished your opening investigation of safety alarms and locks, you should look into enhancing your protection. Get started with these security tips for your home in Shreveport.
- Opt for a new home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Shreveport can do is integrate a home security system. Modern wireless technology allows you to keep tabs on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You may review live video feeds, engage entry locks, and even speak with guests on your front steps right from your smartphone. You may custom-tailor your system with incredible security implements like surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Modernize your outdoor lights. Outside lights with motion detection are a great strategy in dissuading prospective invaders. You can even incorporate them with surveillance cameras. The triggering of a motion sensor can instruct your surveillance to record.
- Maintain your yard. Are you able to clearly see all of your property from the interior? Are there oversized shrubs and trees blocking the view? Get rid of potential places to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it also.
- Get to know others on your street. Talking about your neighbors, get to know them. If you know people around you, there’s a greater chance they’ll let you know if they see suspicious behavior. You can also get involved in your area’s social media presence if one is created.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you opt for an innovative smart home, you can make it look like you’re home by illuminating smart lights at predetermined times. This is a fantastic tool when you’re away.